Monday, July 16, 2012

Rice paddies and Redwoods and a wedding, oh my!

I spent the latter half of last week in Davis, California. On my last day there, my host gave me a tour of the UC Davis campus, which included a tour of the Arboretum and the Redwood Grove where we stumbled upon a wedding. I felt it was rude to take pictures of the actual wedding, so take my word for it; the cake was beautiful! It had a woodland theme, and the topper was of a miniature tree (I didn't get close enough to see if it were a Redwood). I didn't get a good look at the bride and groom either, but I did get a good look at the bridesmaids who were dressed in spring green dresses and held simple bouquets of brightly-colored Gerbera Daises, and the handful of wedding guests who were getting ready to enjoy a barbecue lunch. It was intimate and beautiful.

If I were to get married again, that's how I'll do it on a sunny Friday afternoon in a grove shaded by Redwoods. The only fanfare a simple balloon hanging at the entrance with the word "Wedding" handwritten with a Sharpie marker.

Okay, maybe not. But I love intimate weddings; they fondly remind me of the reason why I got into this business. The very first formulation of the Leslie-Manning Events business plan was a company that focused exclusively on intimate weddings, elopements and the like. Several versions later we abandoned that idea, but intimate weddings will always have a special place in my heart.

No comments: