Thursday, March 8, 2012

The book on Washington, DC wedding venues

When I started planning weddings seven years ago, a caterer recommended that I purchase a copy of Elise Hartman Ford’s book, Unique Meeting, Wedding and Party Places in Greater Washington, D.C. “It [the book] would be your go-to resource for local wedding venues,” he told me. “It has information on every type of venue in this area – mansions, embassies, river cruises and much more – it organizes them all by price, capacity and geography. It also gives you contact information, history and lots of other useful information. You need this book in your arsenal”.

Naturally, I ran out and purchased a copy (okay, I went online at Amazon and purchased a used copy for $5.99). The First Edition of this book was published back in 1988, and I’m willing to bet in those days it was as valuable as gold. I purchased the Fifth Edition published in 2001, and I’m pretty sure it was out-of-date the day after it was printed. Our world moves so fast now. Venues close. New venues open. Additions are made to existing venues. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the book. I love it. I’m an avid reader and I love to collect books, so it’s in my “arsenal”.  However, I highly recommend the internet as the go-to source for wedding and party venues in Greater Washington, DC. The internet also happens in real time – point, click, submit a request for proposal, and in some cases you can even conduct virtual tours.

Still, even on the internet, on local bridal boards where brides gather to discuss their wedding plans, Elise Hartman Ford’s book is mentioned time and again as the secret to finding the perfect DC area venue of your wedding planning dreams. It isn’t. But this is DC. We love our monuments, and this book is definitely one.
 
This post is adapted from my original article on Examiner.com.

1 comment:

Barn Wedding said...

Nice posts, an informative one. It helps a lot, thanks for sharing this to us and looking forward always for more updates.