Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Got engaged yesterday...now what?

Do nothing. Seriously. This was the best advice I have ever received and taken. I had to sit on my hands and resist the urge to call everyone and start planning the wedding of my dreams.

Two weeks later, when I started to tell family and others, it was like I had put something out into the universe that I could not take back. Any doubts or concerns I had about marriage had become magnified, because now I was worried about public humiliation. Worst than the fear of public humiliation, however, was our families ripping apart our plans and forcing us into compromises we never thought we would make.

But oh for those first two weeks when we kept it to ourselves and reveled in our decision to spend the rest of our lives together as husband and wife.

Congratulations to you upon your engagement!

No comments: