Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sugar and Spice Baby Shower

A few weeks ago, I threw a co-ed baby shower for Jenniffer Manning-Scherhaufer (the "Manning" in Leslie-Manning Events) and her husband Mario at their home in the Maryland suburbs. I had a simple plan - gather some friends, stock the bar, order finger food and shower the couple with baby gifts. To that end, I called their local Whole Foods. I knew I would get great food and presentation, and earn an A+ for organic. Then I called on Creative Cakes for a modern (and delicious) pink and brown chocolate cake. I felt lucky when I found soda bottle vases at West Elm for a dollar, and even luckier when I found baby pink Gerber daises. Decor was a little trickier since I had planned to avoid baby pins, baby bottles, baby diapers, baby food; you get the idea. After trying my hand at tissue poms, I gave up and ordered them from Party Poms on Etsy. I also ordered bulk pink and brown printed paper from another Etsy seller and made paper chains and confetti using a scallop paper punch. Since the theme was Sugar and Spice (a very loose interpretation), I had salt water taffy and Wasabi peas as bar snacks, and for favors, I filled cello bags with iced spiced animal crackers and finished them with pink and brown polka dot ribbon. This was one of my favorite baby showers, because I got to do it the way I feel all baby showers should be with more focus on the parents than on the baby, and because I didn't have a lot of work to do, I kept it decidedly uncomplicated.
Congratulations Jenn and Mario!

No comments: