Thursday, April 23, 2009

The 12 Things I Can't Live Without

One of my favorite home design magazines asks an interior designer every month what are the 12 things they can't live without. I like reading this feature, because I usually glean new resources and bookmark worthy websites. This month, I've decided to copy this idea and list the 12 things that I can't live without as a wedding and event planner. Once I got started, it was hard editing it down to 12, but here they are in no particular order:

12. Monthly deep tissue massages. Kristo at The Fairmont Washington, DC is the best! However, when I want the full spa experience (and because they can always fit me in at the last minute) SomaFit is my number one choice.

11. My Ideapad. I can't say enough good things about my favorite road warrior tool. I can surf the web at lightning speed, check email, shop, chat on the webcam with my family. It also has Microsoft Word, so I can write my blog posts and Examiner.com articles when inspiration hits. I used to own an Acer Aspire One, which I loved, but this upgrade is so much better.

10. My Moleskine Notebook. I use the Autofocus System (even before I knew it had a name) to organize myself and the Moleskine notebook is a throwback to my fiction writing days. Every time I open it I feel I should be jotting down notes and observations towards penning the next great American novel. Instead I'm writing: "double-check with venue availability for florist to make 8:00 a.m. delivery on Sunday."

9. Magazines. Every December Hearst Magazines offers $5.00 subscriptions and I rack up. Yes. It means I get a LOT of junk mail, but I like reading those too, because I like getting mail (but that's a whole other post).

8. A black cardigan and a pair of sexy blue jeans that can take me from day to night. My latest sweater acquistion is from Inc. I found it on the sale rack at Macys for $24. My favorite jeans at the moment are from Paige Premium denim.

7. Comfortable black shoes. My favorite pair right now are from Coach. They make me feel as though I'm walking on air. I wear them everywhere and every place that I think I can get away with them.

6. My black berry lip shine from Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. I don't wear makeup unless I have an occasion or event. The lip shine is perfect, because it gives me just a hint of color, so I can still feel pretty.

5. My Canon PowerShot Digital Elph camera. I should be a way better photographer as much as I point and click, but I'm not. However, it doesn't keep me from documenting everything.

4. My LG EnV cell phone. I don't own a BlackBerry. I'm still holding out for the free one Verizon promises me that I'll get on July 14. Fortunately, I have mobile web on my EnV, so I can check email, and because it has a querty keyboard, I can keep up with my nieces text messages. I think I text faster than they do and I use real words.

3. Yoga. I was introduced to yoga a few months ago and I'm still very much a beginner, but I love the stress relief benefits. Love, love, love. I can't wait to have that peaceful look that my yoga instructor wears.

2. Designer water. I will splurge on any fancy bottle that reads: "fine artisan water". I hope there's some benefit there, but honestly, they're my retail therapy and that's why I buy them.

1. A great big bag to carry it all. I currently have my eye on the Nanda Lapsac, but I do love my Dooney bags, although they get so heavy that they're probably part of the reason I can't live without #12.

Now, it's your turn. I would like to hear what are the 12 things in your profession that you can't live without.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bailey said...

Nice post Leslie. As for my list, this is only two things, not 12, but I positively wouldn't want to live without my Select Comfort bed and 800 thread count sheets.