Monday, February 9, 2009

Honeymoon in your backyard

A few days ago, my niece posted on her Facebook page that she was looking for destination suggestions for her honeymoon. Her friends suggested Fiji, Tahiti and some other far flung and fabulous places. Me, knowing the budget, suggested a honeymoon in her backyard - Montauk, NY - yes, I know what you're thinking, and in many ways you're right, but don't rule out Montauk without first checking out Sole East. It's luxury without pretension. An escape without escaping too far. I don't think it is as good on the budget as a "staycation", but it will help reduce your carbon footprint and save the earth.

I'm convinced there's a Sole East in every backyard in America, so before you call the travel agent and shell out $6,000 for a six-night, seven-day stay in an open air cliff side room in Jamaica (uh-oh, did I just lose you?), drive around the neighborhood or talk to your local hospitality gurus.

No comments: