Saturday, August 9, 2008

Read any good books lately?

In the next couple of days, I'm going to start a new sidebar titled: "My Bookshelf" (or something catchier if I could dream it up) with books, magazines, even web magazines that I'm reading. Recently, a client invited me to join Good Reads, and I did and only after I did, did I worry whether or not it was spam. Recently, I invited over 1,000 people to join me on Reunion.com. Spamming them with "quechup", as one recipient put it. Sorry y'all.

Anyhow, after a couple of hours on Good Reads, I started to miss the good old days when I lived with my head buried in a book. I read not for content, but for style (although I did discover some great stories along the way). I loved reading the way others wrote. It's why I gave up writing. The self-doubt was torture.

Last weekend, I was exchanging stories with one of my nieces who was visiting with me. She wants to be a writer. Poor thing. I remember those days, when I was her age (okay, maybe a year or two older), hanging out in my professor's studio apartment in Greenwich Village on Tuesday evenings, eating hummus and reading poetry. I wish someone had knocked me over the head then, and said: "get into entertainment law, you big dummy." It would have made the $50,000+ in student loan bills I'm paying today a lot easier to digest.

But I digress...

The first magazine that I'm going to list in my new sidebar is called Hitched. According to their tag line, Hitched entertains, educates & inspires marriages. "Inspires, eh?" Well, at least it's a good read.

4 comments:

suicide_blond said...

the brief wondrous life of oscar wao...by junot diaz
was one of the best things ive read in ages...and junot's "voice" is soo fresh....ive been recommending it to anyone that will listen..
xoxo

Leslie said...

Okay, so I read the review of this book over on the New York Times web site. It's definitely my kind of book. I have to get it for the next time I make time to read.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

not wedding related, but read Hot, Flat and Crowded by Tom Friedman. Life changer.

Leslie said...

You are the second person who suggested I read this book. Maybe it's time I do.