Monday, August 11, 2008

Party!: Strawberry Ice Cubes

I found this recipe on Epicurious.com, and since I have a surplus of strawberries at home (thanks to the "buy one carton of a hundred, get another carton of hundred strawberries free sale" at my local Safeway), I decided to try it out to see if it's worth saving for future use (and it is!). Here's what you'll need:
.
Tools:
A blender
A fine-mesh sieve (I used a cheese cloth)
Ice-trays (you can get creative here with some of the cool ones that can be found in home stores like Sur la table or Williams-Sonoma. I used the ones that came with my refrigerator)
.
Ingredients:
1 lb strawberries, halved (3 cups)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Preparation:
Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth; strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large glass measure. Freeze in ice-cube trays until solid, at least 4 hours
Add1 cube to a glass of your favorite bubbly or lemonade (the non-alcoholic version) and impress your guests! I impressed myself.
.
The hardest part was finding a clear wine glass and a non-distracting background in my home to take the photo above.
.
Hmm...I think my photography skills are getting better.

6 comments:

natasha said...

These look really yummy!

Leslie said...

They were. Interestingly enough, they changed the flavor of the wine, but it was still yummy.

Lara @ Southern Weddings said...

ooohh.. I would love these as a wedding guest. Fabulous idea!

Leslie said...

Lara - thanks! they truly were a delicious treat. I must make them again, but without ice-trays that look like tongues :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy, thanks! What about using these to keep your sangria cool?

Leslie Weekes said...

@anonymous...I haven't tried them with Sangria, but it could be a tasty experiment.