Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pick just one

I felt impressed to rerun this post, because recently my next door neighbor has been doing some fancy landscaping in his front yard. What started out as admirable now looks like the garden aisle at the Home Depot. Someone needs to stop him. Last night, he hung the Christmas tree lights. Well, there's no accounting for taste, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

At a recent wedding, the bride and groom dragged me out onto the dance floor. Bad idea, as they would soon learn, I am one move better than Elaine on Seinfeld. So there I was dancing to all five beats of the band, when the groom whispered in my ear: "just pick one."

"Why?" I asked. "I like them all. Why must I pick just one?"

Sadly, that's the point of view many brides have when it comes to choosing a motif or theme for their wedding. I know there are a lot of great ideas out there from which to choose - palm trees, birds, churches, monograms, etc. - but pick just one. And after you pick that motif, resist plastering it on everything related to your wedding. It's that famous Coco Chanel quote: "before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off." Take a look at your design plans and start editing the items that you've covered in your motif. It's either the chair covers or the aisle runner. The gobo or the favors. The napkins or the matches. Remember, there's elegance in simplicity.

No comments: