Monday, June 30, 2008

like weddings for watermelons

Today, a friend forwarded a blog post to me about the innovation of the square watermelon. Apparently, some Japanese farmers have forced their watermelons to grow in a square container, so they take up less space in the supermarkets and in consumer's refrigerators. Anyhow, after reading the article, I could not stop thinking about how weddings are like watermelons. Regardless of how you slice 'em, they're still round. Few people allow themselves to be limited by the size and shape of weddings and plan a wedding that's innovative and "square". And even fewer wedding guests are willing to accept or enjoy a celebration that's outside of the norm. Most people are willing to say "this is the way it is supposed to be, cut the cake and toss the garter already," but it doesn't always have to be that way. We can train our minds to think differently. Which brings me to the story of the couple that hired me, because I was unlike other planners they interviewed. They hired me because I was willing to let them run rampant with their ideas even though they messed with the order of the universe, and since I'm a person who's all about order, they messed with my mind. But I survived and it was a wonderful wedding.

I guess the moral of this post is: even though the watermelon is square, it's just as juicy and as enjoyable as its round counterparts.

3 comments:

Kelly, Your SW Florida Destination Wedding Planner said...

Leslie,
You are a master story teller. Why aren't you writing books?

Leslie said...

Kelly - tell that to the magazine editor who paid me $75 to kill my story. Sigh. :)

Kelly, Your SW Florida Destination Wedding Planner said...

What?!!! That's insane. I love to read your words.