Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rain happens

One of my brides, who is getting married at the end of the month, is worried. We're in the middle of May, but it feels like the middle of March. It has rained for three days straight (with more predicted before the week is over), and it's cold. "Should we shift gears and go with the backup plan?" she asks. In other words, bring the outdoor ceremony indoors. Here's the thing about me and the weather: I don't worry about the weather. It's the one thing I know I have absolutely no control over, so I just work with it and, strangely, appreciate it. A light rain makes the colors of nature brighter and more beautiful and makes for gorgeous photos. However, with all planned outdoor ceremonies it's always wise to have a backup plan in place (even if you're expecting great weather). It's also just as important to remove the weather.com bookmark from your computer. It only feeds your worry, and it won't change the weather. In my opinion, the best time to check the weather for your wedding day is that morning (yes, not even the night before). However, I do start tracking it, with some disbelief, at least three - five days out and there are some situations that will require you to make a decision earlier rather than later (i.e. if major tenting is involved), but if the plan is as simple as arranging chairs in the garden versus the ballroom, then two hours before the wedding is decision time - in or out - it's going to be a glorious day.

3 comments:

SoireeLaura said...

Amen! I have an outdoor tented wedding in Silver Spring this Sunday and my bride is addicted to weather.com. We can't do a single thing about the weather but it's stressing her out. Good advice to remove the bookmark!

Vicky @ Event Accomplished said...

I forbid my clients to look at any weather service the week of the wedding! I'm the only one that gets to worry about instituting Plan B. In fact, 2 weeks ago, it was calling for rain all week for my Sunday wedding. Come Sunday, not a rain drop to be seen. It's pointless to stress about weather because somehow, it always works out in the end.

Jessica said...

We had an outdoor wedding and had to make a change of plans because the ground was too wet from a storm the night before to put chairs down. The actual day, however, was just gorgeous, so we got married on a really pretty tree-lined road our venue had.

This decision was made literally about an hour and a half before the ceremony. :)