Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cupcake love

Recently, I was exchanging emails with Suicide Blond about cupcakes. Basically, where to get them in DC? Are they yummy? and do they deliver? If I need cupcakes in a hurry, I know I can count on my local Lawson's Gourmet (which is RSVP Catering in disguise) to have them on hand, though not yummy. However, I've noticed that for special occasion cupcakes, well, other than Georgetown Cupcakes, my resources are quite limited. So lately, I've been on the lookout for new cupcake vendor resources. Suicide Blond introduced me to Couture Cupakes (yummy and they deliver). And one of my brides introduced me to Sprinkles Cupcakes (photo above). They're pretty delicious looking and pretty far away too. Although I did vote on their web site for their next location to be Washington, DC. But after visiting many, many cupcake vendor web sites and a few local bakeries, I've come to this conclusion: I like my cupcakes yummy and messy looking. This is why I love Cake Love and I love Cake Love's wedding cakes. They're not aiming for great design, just great cake.

8 comments:

Lemmonex said...

Baked and Wired in Gtown...hands down. The carrot cake cupcakes are to die for.

Robyn said...

yes, I was told Baked and Wired is the next best thing to Georgetown. Lemmonex beat me to it!! :)

DC Wedding Planner said...

I feel like I tasted every cupcake in town for a wedding I did. Honestly I hated Cake Love. I had four other people try them because I thought it was just me since everyone raves about them. Nobody liked them! Long story short, the best cupcakes in town are made by the pastry chef at Tabard Inn. Call their catering department and they will hook you up.

Anonymous said...

We're using www.fluffythoughts.com for our cupcakes, and I can't recommend them highly enough. Try the hazelnut icing, or the passionfruit filling with the white chocolate cake. To die for!

Leslie said...

I think I gained about 20lbs just reading these comments.

dc - I've had clients who did not like Cake Love either, but there's a well-known baker in town that everyone raves about whose cakes I think are way too dry. I guess cake like most things is subjective.

Let Me Introduce Myself..... said...

As a huge fan of cupcakes, I am going to check out all the wonderful vendors you've listed.

Thank you!

In Houston, there is a new establishment opening called "Crave". I'm told their cupcakes are famously delicious. I look forward to reporting on them many times. : )

Confessions of the Anti-Bride said...

I think that Best Buns Bakery in Shirlington does an amazing job with their cupcakes! They're larger and fluffier than Cake Love, and cheaper as well (bonus!). The bad news? They don't deliver, so we have the future MIL doing a morning cupcake run on the day of the wedding. Bless her heart!

rjd2123 said...

Two amazing places for cupcakes...unfortunately both are within walking distance of my house. Oh, well, at least the walking burns off a couple of the awesome cupcake calories, right? Anyway, they are Pastries by Randolph (the cappucino cupcake is AMAZING) and Heidelberg Pastry Shop (nothing says baked goods love like big German women)