Friday, March 28, 2008

To pork or not to pork? that is the question

Yesterday, I had a long, long, long, LONG discussion with a chef about pork. Yeah, the other white meat. My clients want to serve pork at their event, and the chef is adamant that for a group of more than 20 people, pork is not a good idea. I agree with the chef; that has always been my stand about any meat (or any dish rather) that requires an acquired taste. However, I could not get my clients to change their minds, so I suggested ordering sufficient alternate meals of beef and extra vegetarian meals for those guests who will not note on their RSVP that they have dietary restrictions, but if you put a dish of pork in front of them will scream: "Pork? egads!" However, my client insisted on pork. The chef offered up many different alternatives - a dual entree of pork with swordfish or pork with chicken or pork with a black bean ravioli - and still my clients insisted: "Just pork." The chef was so against the pork that he didn't even cook it for our tasting, even though my client indicated that they wanted to taste a pork dish. "Nobody eats pork," he said.

"It's not your event," I told the chef, and then bit my tongue until it bled.

UPDATE: Everyone ate the pork!

7 comments:

suicide_blond said...

come on now...
im from NC .. we can have the whole town gather and eat just pork bbq and sweet tea! that said... your clients should really listen to the professionals.... they only get one chance to have their wedding.. and the pros have seen it fail thats why they dont want to do it! break a leg on this one sugar!
xoxo

Leslie said...

Suicide blond - Thanks! It's funny. My client insisted I blog about this, because they believe others will agree with them on the pork. I guess if you know your folk...

Robyn said...

Hmmmm. I wholeheartedly agree it is not only customary but also considerate to offer at least two entree choices. But "NOBODY eats pork" might be exagerrated. (NOBODY???)
It's also best to remember that although it is YOUR wedding day, you are hosting a party for your GUESTS, so offering a "safe" option will be greatly appreciated.
I once had a bride who insisted on Trout, Lamb and Veal. Seriously. Despite the efforts of the chef and myself, she informed us that (all 250) of her guests had "sophisticated palates". Suffice it to say that there was a lot of salad and cake eaten that night! :)

Anonymous said...

They're paying the bill. Let 'em serve pork.

I go to weddings all the time with no vegetarian entree. I suck it up and just eat something when I get home.

Of course if they want to be NICE, I would have a big batch of vegetarian entrees waiting in the back in case there are religious restrictions and people who just refuse it. Beef AND vegetarian seems a bit over the top.

Crystal said...

Although I do love me some pork, (they DO exist!?!) I don't think I'd ever try serving just one protein with no alternatives. That's just obnoxious. Even if they absolutely know their whole family will love it and eat it up there are still kids or dates of the wedding party or vegetarians to think of. I personally think they're being rather selfish and rude..

Perfect Settings said...

You can't have a party without the swine! Don't people know that?

suicide_blond said...

im sooo glad you left the update! lol
glad to hear it went well..
Let them eat pork...
xoxo