Friday, March 14, 2008

It's always about money

I once had a Wet Blanket tell a bride and groom: “you’re spending $20,000 on the wedding, but the divorce will only cost you $63.” This Wet Blanket was privy to an argument the couple were having over money. And while I really and truly like to believe that my client’s money management is none of my business, you know what, it is. I’ve said it before in previous posts, and I’ll say it again: when things go south financially, during the wedding planning process, more often than not, the wedding planner shares the burden of the financial stress. But that’s not what this post is about. This post is about money AFTER the wedding. Why? Because the Wet Blanket went on to explain to my clients that it was money that split up his marriage. He said one day his wife came home with an $800 puppy. Two days later, she came home with a $2,000 Louis Vuitton puppy carrier. Two weeks later, he’s taking calls from the mortgage company about whether or not he’d like to make a payment over the phone today because the mortgage payment is late. None of your business? I know, right?

Anyhow, today I learned about the Marriage & Money special feature on Forbes.com. I heart Forbes.com. Maybe one day I’ll make one of their lists. This feature is chuck full of articles like “Saving a Marriage: Spend, Save or Give?” “Taxing Marriages,” “Insuring the Future” and much more. Read it, because you don't want to become a wet blanket on some young couples' wedding plans one day.

No comments: