Monday, February 25, 2008

Life as it should be

I was just reading an excerpt from Colin Cowie's latest book, Colin Cowie Chic: The Guide to Life As It Should Be.

Every now and then, I like to check in and see what the other half is doing. It's why I renew my Town & Country subscription year after year (that and the wedding issue, and oh yeah, the fact that I only pay $5.00). But I digress...so, I start reading about Colin and his marvellous life, and lo and behold, I find information that I could use in my life. Tips, such as this one:

"A ruthless way to edit [your wardrobe] is to start at one end of your closet and each day move down one piece of clothing, forcing yourself to create an outfit around that piece and wear it that day. If you don't find anything to go with the top or bottoms you've pulled, consider letting the item go."

And then I found tips for my next life:

"[When you're a guest in someone's home] treat your host's household help politely, with respect - and don't expect the staff to do more than make your bed and clean your bathroom."

And then there was a tip for traveling well that I already use, even without knowing that I was living life as it should be:

"Placing a call to the concierge before your arrival [at a hotel] alerts the entire hotel staff of your visit. In most topflight hotels, the general manager, the concierge and key employees discuss their upcoming arrivals. If they know you're coming (and are aware of your likes and dislikes). this automatically puts you on the hotel's radar screen."

I always request that a half-bottle of chilled white wine and a tray of chocolate-covered strawberries be waiting in my room upon my arrival [at a hotel or resort] even if I'm traveling alone, or rather, especially if I'm traveling alone. I guess I'm just living life as Colin says it should be with "uber generosity, humility, grace, passion, style, glamour, fabulousness...and, of course, fun!"

Okay, maybe I'm not, but I'm definitely picking up this book and adding it to my library.

1 comment:

Tracey Kumer-Moore said...

Leslie,
You are so "chic" already my friend:)

I am actually giving this book away as one of a collection of 4 in my Feb. blog giveaway contest.

Actually, I am going to see Colin at Catersource on Tuesday!

Tracey
Your Las Vegas Wedding Concierge