Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Here comes the advice

If you're planning a wedding, chances are, you're getting a lot of advice. Almost all of it unsolicited. My aunt keeps my email inbox full with a steady stream of things Oprah said, books we should read, seminars we should attend, courses we should take, sites to visit, you name it. My aunt has had a long and happy marriage, so I don't immediately hit delete when I get her emails. Sometimes I read them first. Always with trepidation. A few years ago, said Aunt gave me some unsolicited relationship advice, and I took it. One of the best moves I've made in my lifetime. However, this time I don't want to read anything that says that this relationship is unhealthy or doomed to fail. I feel like the couple in License to Wed. Why shake the foundation of a good thing? Anyhow, this morning I get an email from my aunt (they've increased in frequency ever since my fiance and I decided to postpone our wedding). It's a link to an article on Psychologytoday.com. The article is titled: "Tips on how to build a healthy love life with your spouse". This one is worthy of printing and pinning to the refrigerator like the author suggests. Anyhow, consider this my bit of unsolicited advice.

1 comment:

Angel said...

This is a good list, and I agree; advice seems to come out of the woodwork when there's a wedding. I like that this advice focuses on the relationship and not whether someone should have rice or bubbles. Good post!