Saturday, September 22, 2007

What's in a name?

I've been working on a seating chart this week (notice I said week). 300 names. Checking and double-checking with the kind of compulsive obsession, I'm certain will one day drive me mad. "You said Lynda with a 'y' not an 'i'? Got it!" Why do I put myself through all the trouble? Because whenever I show up to an event and I'm handed a nametag or place card, how my name is spelled shapes the entire experience for me, positively or negatively. My last name is one of those simple names with two ways to spell, so even though I stress the extra "e", more often than not people will revert to the way they spell it routinely. Therefore, you can imagine my joy when someone spells my name correctly. The devil is in the details, as they say.

I guess now is as good a time as any to point out that my name is not Leslie Manning. This was the risk Jenniffer (with two f's) Manning and I knew we were taking when we named the business Leslie dash Manning Events comma LLC. Therefore, I'm regularly addressed as Ms. Manning or Leslie Manning and I respond, because "yes" is so much more efficient than explaining why there's a dash between both names. However, there is one time when I'm addressed as Leslie Manning or Ms. Manning that I do feel the need to point it out. It's when that salutation starts a cover letter or email requesting employment. Why? Because without fail, somewhere in the body of the letter or email, the candidate is going to stress to me their "exceptional" attention to details, after having missed the very first detail: my name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true! This has happened to me on more than one occasion and I feel that if they can't get things right in the cover letter, how attentive to detail will they be in the job. Unfortunately, those resumes usually don't make it past the initial screening process!
Celia (NOT Cecelia!)

Leslie said...

Cecelia - I know exactly what you mean! LOL.

Isis said...

I love this post Leslie! I can understand mispronouncing Isis, but there is NO R in my name so when I see "IRIS" in print, Isis (no R) Petrie (add the e) gets ANGRY!