Sunday, September 2, 2007

Play? what play?

I just read in a celebrity planner's book that planning a wedding is a lot like putting on a revival of a well-loved show. "The story is familiar, but your version is unlike any other." What a great analogy! A wedding is a lot like a play. You have your cast of characters, costumes, dress rehearsals, lines, monologues, set design, timing, producer, etc., etc. However, I think approaching your wedding planning as producing a play or show is possibly the number one reason why so many couples say: "I can't wait for this wedding to be over" rather than "I can't wait for this wedding I've been planning forever." They're worried about their critics, rather than throwing the best darn celebration of their joining, commitment and love.

Now, I'm not saying throw your planning to the wind and let the pieces fall where they may. I think proper planning and good timing is essential to enjoying your wedding day. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourself. You don't have the reach the end of the aisle at the very moment Celine Dion hits that note.

To me, and perhaps only to me, the benchmark of a good wedding is when guests leave saying: "I wish I didn't have to leave; I was having so much fun." Rather than: "they (referring to the couple) did a good job."

1 comment:

SoireeLaura said...

What a great comparison! Thanks Leslie :)