Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Song of the year

Every year there's "that song," the one you'll hear at every wedding you attend. When I was a kid that song was I Pledge My Love by Peaches and Herb. I went to a lot of weddings back then, because my parents were popular I guess or because they gave great gifts, which I seriously doubt, because back then a great gift was a set of wine glasses, but I digress. I heard that song played for so many first dances, I was left with the impression that it was required.

This year, one DJ tells me "that song" is Lost In This Moment by Big & Rich. Last year it was I Found My Everything by Mary J. Blige. What goes into choosing "the song" anyway? Is it the words? the melody? does the song conjure up a shared experience? One wedding we did, "the song" was Knocks Me Off My Feet by Stevie Wonder. The couple used this song for their recessional, and it stuck with me. It was months before I could put my finger on why I was so moved by this song. It was the way it made me feel. About the day, about the couple, about the wedding itself.

No comments: