Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Veil's the thing

After months of fighting with my mother over the veil, I've decided to give in and wear one. I was wasting too many hours of my life on that fight and I was ready to get on with the other fights - no bridesmaids, no bouquet or garter toss, and oh yeah, the date - I was against wearing a veil, because of one simple line: "Now, you're a bride." Whenever I hear that line (and I hear it often) it's like nails on a chalkboard. Since when did a piece of tulle define you as a bride? Then today I was listening to the "legendary" Monica Hickey, who was the bridal director at Bendels before they closed that department in 1987, on The Wedding Podcast Network. Ms. Hickey said something that resonated with me. She said: "The veil is the accessory that finishes your outfit." Now that's a line I can get behind.

No comments: