Monday, March 12, 2007

Teeth as white as your dress

I was having a conversation today with a friend to whom I was explaining the importance of dyeing your white wedding shoes to match your white wedding dress. Like black, white comes in different shades and even though you may believe your dress is so long no one will notice your shoes, trust me, they will.

What about your teeth? She asked. I would think it’s more important to have your teeth as white as your dress.

I must admit, she’s got a point. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve seen wedding photos and wondered why didn’t they whiten their teeth? I know it’s purely cosmetic, but so is the $200+ hairdresser and makeup artist, so why not stop at the dentist before the taking those pictures you’ve paid upwards of $2,000 to capture? Usually, the deterrent is cost. The little details do add up, and the closer you get to the wedding date, the more things get deleted from your list and usually teeth whitening will suffer that fate.

Fortunately, there are cheaper alternatives. They may not work as well as the job your dentist does, but they will make a difference.

Lemon juice is a natural tooth whitener and, used daily (mixed with either baking soda or salt), is an effective alternative to chemical whiteners.
Gosmile www.gosmile.com (the celebrities' choice)
Natural White Pro www.naturalwhite.com
Crest Whitestrips & Crest Night Effects www.crest.com
Colgate Simply White Night www.colgate.com

Recently, my sister introduced me to Glister toothpaste. Made by the people who used to be Amway. I find it to be no better or worse than my favorite, Plus White. Most whitening toothpastes just remove the surface stains that mask your teeth's intrinsic hue, so they're good long-term additions to your daily routine if you're like me and drink coffee, tea and red wine.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a dentist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No comments: