Sunday, March 11, 2007

A few good books

This Sunday’s New York Times has a great article on wedding books and how brides can’t buy enough of them. Let’s expand that to include wedding planners. When I first started in this business, I spent close to $500 on my wedding books library. I bought books by Preston Bailey, Colin Cowie and Robin Ernst. Then I bought books written by the Knot and a few unknown (to me) authors, and after reading them all, I discovered that there are books you should buy and then there are books that you should leave on the shelf. My favorite books are ones that offer inspiration. If designing your wedding is a priority, Preston and Colin offer the best books in this category, although recently, I stumbled upon The Wedding Album by Alice Harris and bought it immediately. Books on etiquette, Emily Post still has this market cornered. Now, if you don’t want to invite Emily to your wedding, you should buy Weddings for Grown-ups. I must say when I was drafting my business plan, I drew a lot of inspiration from this book that speaks so much to planning the wedding you want. Not necessarily an Indie wedding, but a wedding that reflects your tastes as grown-ups. LOVE IT. However, if you’re planning an Indie wedding, Offbeat Bride is a great read. I can go on and on, but just as the NYT article suggests, too much of a good thing can be, well, too much.

1 comment:

Kelly, Your SW Florida Destination Wedding Planner said...

You know I had to comment on this. I'm a wedding & entertaining book junkie. Just purchased Colin's latest- LOVE IT!