Thursday, February 8, 2007

You have to feed them too


I am one of those people who have to make sure to eat before I attend a function. The reason being that 90% of the time when I get there the menu would consist of things I can’t eat because they would kill me. Things I don’t eat, because I don’t find them appealing, and things I shouldn’t eat – DESSERT!

One of my favorite venues throws the most fabulous parties. I am always on the list, and I am certain the first to respond, even though I know when I get there I’d be limited to cheese and crackers (and at the last party they nixed the cheese and crackers, so I was left with the Wasabi peas on the bar).

If you’re planning a menu for a wedding, special event or dinner for more than 20 people, there are a few things you may want to keep in mind:
  • Duck, lamb, venison or any meat that requires an acquired taste should be left off the menu. Unless they’re on a buffet next to a chicken, beef and/or pasta dish.
  • Shellfish gives your party a more upscale feel, but since it can kill some of your guests, or for religious reasons, exclude some of your guests, please remember to serve a chicken, beef and/or pasta dish that was prepared separately.
  • Don’t feed your vegetarians a bowl of lettuce or a bowl of lettuce with Portobello mushrooms. There’s a whole spectrum of wonderful vegetarian dishes available – talk to your caterer.
  • Finally, keep the bar open. If people can’t eat, they’ll drink.
And don’t forget dessert!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you, Leslie, for reminding everyone that vegetarians need real food, too!

aparna said...

leslie arranged an amazing indian caterer for our mostly vegetarian reception. It was delicious and the range of tastes was amazing!
Go leslie!