Monday, February 26, 2007

The Wow Vows

As a wedding planner, it may not seem like a great idea for me to endorse the New York Times' review of Rebecca Mead's book "One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding". However, I am doing so for two reasons. 1. Regardless of whether you spend $5,000 or $500,000 on your wedding, my job is the same - to minimize stress and maximize dollars - not to push you to over-consume for your "perfect" day. 2. Because as a bride, I think this book is long overdue. I think it's a great wake-up call, and I know other wedding planners will agree with me, if not publicly, that it's a lot easier and far more rewarding to plan a wedding for a couple that is marriage-focused rather than wedding-focused. With marriage-focused planning, all of the elements needed to pull off a seamless and elegant event are still there, but whether it's as simple as Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio's wedding as described in Mead's book or extravagant as Star Jones and Al Reynold's nuptials, the thing that causes the most tension - the desire to be "obsessive and competitive" - is missing, and is often replaced with fun. Whodda thunk it? you can have fun while planning your wedding (that is after you've locked your family members in a closet and taped their mouths shut).

No comments: