Wednesday, February 28, 2007

But can you save me money?

Yes, and then again, no.

I was having a conversation with an ex-wedding planner yesterday. Ex, because she burned out on brides a few years ago, talking to me is cathartic as she struggles to regain her sanity. We were talking about money. I recently lost a prospective client, because I refused to sign a guarantee that I’ll save them money. I refused, because there’s no good reason for me to sign myself up for a lawsuit. Could I have saved them money? You bet. I’ve saved past clients hundreds and thousands of dollars on their weddings, but that’s not the reason for hiring a wedding planner.

My colleague burned out, because unfortunately, that was the reason many couples came to her, and if she came in at or over their budget then they tried to recoup some of that money by suing her for alleged wrongs (I say alleged, because she won every case). It reminds me of the conversation I had with the funeral director at my father’s funeral. I applauded him for his help. I told him you’re invaluable. I don’t know how I would have made it through this day without your help. He told me: “You’re welcome. It’s nice to have a good client.” I asked him what he meant and he said: “Well, you know, people try to rip you off.” Really? The funeral director? You’re grieving for crying out loud!

Here’s what I’ll guarantee a couple. I’ll guarantee to save you time, work, stress, organize and manage your event, so you, your family and your guests can fully enjoy the experience, and, along the way, I may even save you some money.

No comments: