Monday, January 8, 2007

But are you having any fun?

This weekend my fiance and I were working on our wedding. About 10 minutes into the process we both mentioned that we had a headache. You know the type that starts at the back of your head and shoots to the front and explodes behind your eyes (yeah, it was that bad). It was then that we realized we weren't having any fun planning the "happiest day of our lives."

Actually, the happiest day of my life happened when I was nine and a half and I had won a consolation prize for my entry into an art contest at my school. I drew a dog. I can't draw. I didn't realize at the time that the prize, a pencil box, was supposed to keep me from crying. I was pleasantly giddy. I guess it worked.

And that's the feeling I want while I'm planning my wedding. I want to be pleasantly giddy. So we've decided to switch gears and elope (just kidding). We've decided that we have to plan the wedding we want. When I think of the number of times I've said this to couples: "plan the wedding you want. Not your parents', bestfriend's or wedding vendors'. Plan the wedding that reflects your personality, style and deepest feelings about marriage." Yet, here I am trying to please my mother, sisters, friends, future in-laws, even relatives I haven't seen or spoken to since the Reagan Administration. It's time to start taking my own advice.

2 comments:

langnima1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
honeykbee said...

Good for you!!